/ Things to do
/ Italianate Glasshouse
The Italianate Glasshouse, a Grade II* Listed historic monument, was erected in the grounds of East Cliff Lodge, Sir Moses Montefiore's 22 acre estate in 1832. Sir Moses, a British financier and former Sheriff of London, bought the magnificent structure from another impressive house, Bretton Hall in Yorkshire, after seeing it in an auction catalogue.
The grounds of the house, now known as King George VI Memorial Park, were eventually taken over by Ramsgate Borough Council after the house was demolished in 1953. Sadly neglected in the past, the Glasshouse was restored in 2005.
A recent addition has been the Tea Garden. Open on fine days during the summer months, visitors are able to relax and sample a delicious cream tea, while enjoying the tranquil and peaceful surroundings.