Ramsgate Council History
/ Ramsgate Council History
Ramsgate Borough Council
Ramsgate received its royal charter on the 2nd of April 1884. On the 9th June in the same year, 6 Aldermen and 18 councillors met to elect the first Mayor of Ramsgate, Mr. John Kennett of Nethercourt. Sir Moses Montefiore presented the town with the chain of office shortly before this, and on the 7th of July of that year, Messrs. Tomson and Wotton presented the town with the civic mace. The Ramsgate Borough Council came to an end in 1974, when Ramsgate became part of the Thanet District Council.
Ramsgate Charter Trustees
In 1974, Ramsgate became a Charter Trustee to maintain the continuity of a town charter after the status of borough had been abolished, due to Thanet District Council coming into fruition. In 2009, residents started a campaign to establish a Town Council, this was successful.
Ramsgate Town Council
Ramsgate Town Council was established in June 2009. The town is made up of seven wards: Central Harbour, Eastcliff, Nethercourt, Newington, Northwood, Pegwell and Sir Moses Montefiore and consists of sixteen members of council.