Lord Liverpool, the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, laid the foundation stone, weighing 11 tons, on 8th November 1822, exactly one year on from the King's return. He also placed some coins of the realm in the hole in the middle.
The whole memorial, made of Dublin granite and weighing 100 tons, is 52ft high and was unveiled by Lord Liverpool, again, on the 19th July 1823. The locals at the time referred to it as the royal toothpick.
There was a proposal to move the obelisk to the end of the East Pier in May 1955, but it was turned down as it was too expensive.
From an historic grand royal visit that elevated the harbour to royal status and made the whole town proud stands the obelisk of Ramsgate.
Photograph Provided by Ralph Hoult