/ About Ramsgate
/ Thanet District Council: Business Support Grants
Thanet District Council has now received £40m from the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy to distribute in the form of support grants to specific local businesses.
- Many small businesses which receive small or rural business rates relief (with a rateable value under £15,000) will receive a payment of £10,000.
- Retail, hospitality and leisure businesses, with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000, will receive a £25,000 grant.
Please be assured that the teams working to process this on our behalf, are working flat out to ensure that the funding reaches the eligible businesses as quickly as possible.
New fast payment system
Over the coming days, the teams will be implementing a brand new automated payment system to process these payments. This system needs to be tested rigorously, but the rollout will mean that we are able to process payments faster. Although some authorities have already started making payments, they are doing so manually. The use of an automated system will mean that we will actually pay all eligible businesses more quickly overall.
This system is also being used by Canterbury and Dover councils, so businesses across East Kent will be processed in this way.
The council is currently identifying businesses that qualify for a cash grant.
- For businesses that pay by Direct Debit, we will pay the grant into the bank account the Direct Debit is paid from, on or shortly after Tuesday 7 April.
- For businesses that don’t pay by Direct Debit, we will write* on or shortly after Wednesday 8 April providing a link to an online form for the provision of bank details for payment.
- Businesses that think they should qualify, but have not received an email or letter by 15 April, should contact the Business Rates Team.
Once rolled out, the aim is to process all submissions received on a daily basis.
*Emails will be the main route of correspondence, with letters for all other businesses (where e-mail addresses are not held on file).
We will continue to use social media, our website and the local media to promote this information and ensure that as many people as possible are aware.
Activity already undertaken
Everyone involved is working extremely hard to deliver this and beyond normal office hours.
So far we have:
How you can help
- Applied the business rates holiday to over a thousand accounts.
- Recalculated and rebilled all the retail relief cases in the last week - after the final Government guidance was issued at the weekend.
- Contributed £5,000 to bolster the Kent Growth Hub and provide a dedicated support line for COVID-19 related issues. The line (03333 602300) is in operation from 8.30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- Published advice and guidance for businesses continuing to trade as ‘take-away’.
- Ensured we don’t undertake planning enforcement action which would result in unnecessarily restricting deliveries of food and other essential deliveries during this period.
- Published a list of Frequently Asked Questions to provide more detailed information.
Please share information through your networks too - we know many of you are part of Facebook groups for example. We would encourage you wherever possible to share links to the relevant information in as many ways and with as many people as you can.
Thanet District Council