Since 1934, the 50th anniversary and incorporation, the use of supporters were allowed and these take the form of a lifeboatman and coastguard.
This is the county emblem, the Kentish horse "Invicta", meaning unconquered. This refers to the first king of Kent, King Vortigern, whose daughter Rowena married Hengist, a Viking warlord sent for by the king to help him drive his enemies, the Bards and Druids back to the north over the River Thames. They did this successfully and were given large parts of east Kent - including the Isle of Thanet. The rampant horse of Kent is thought to have been on his standard when he landed.
This is the dolphin on a blue background. This refers to the town's importance as the home of the fishing fleet. When at its peak, it numbered over 200 fishing smacks and one could walk from one side of the harbour to the other on the decks of these boats.
This is a lion's head joined to the hulk of a ship. This is the badge of the Cinque Ports and signifies that since 1483, the town of Ramsgate is a limb of liberty to the town of Sandwich.
This is the golden lymhad or single masted galley. This signifies the importance Ramsgate had with the sea trade in and around the harbour. John Smeaton started work on the present harbour following the authorisation by parliament in 1750 and in the first 18 months, 52,000 tons of chalk had been removed.