54bc to 1483ad
/ 54bc to 1483ad
Ramsgate's history on the Isle of Thanet goes back over many centuries. Early history saw
the arrival of the Belgic peoples to this general area in the first 100 years
BC during which period the Romans first arrived in 55 and 54BC. They later came
to this area of East Kent to fully conquer Britain in the Claudian Invasion of
43AD setting up the huge gateway fortress and town of Richborough nearby - just
4Â½ miles (6km) in a straight line from present day Ramsgate.
Evidence of their presence has been found during excavation work around the town
including in 1870 when Roman Burials were found in the area of the Granville
Hotel on the East Cliff. Roman tiles and wooden piles sunk into the chalk
beneath the site of the present slipway in the harbour have also been found,
when the slipway was constructed suggesting the area was used as a small haven.
During the end of the Roman period the Vikings under the leadership of Hengist and
Horsa with their mercenary force arrived at the invitation of the Romano /
British leader Vortigern in AD 449. Vortigern gave them the Isle of Thanet -
which was a true island at that time - as payment for their help. Landing at
Ebbsfleet they were to stay long after the Romans had left, naming the country
It was during the Anglo Saxon period that St Augustin arrived from the church of
Rome in 597 when he also landed at Ebbsfleet. A stone cross now marks the spot
where this landing was said to have taken place. That location is now about
half a mile (nearly a kilometre) inland as the mile wide Wantsum Channel -
separating Thanet from mainland Kent - has long since silted up.
The towns earliest reference is as Hraefn's ate, meaning cliff gap, It later came
to be known as Remmesgate, or sometimes as Ramisgate around the beginning of
the 13th Century (1200 to 1230). Some 120 years later, perhaps 1360 or so, the
area became known as Ramesgate. At this time this small area was little more
than a fishing hamlet with some farms scattered about it as a part of one or
more of the local 'Manors'. Then in 1483 Ramsgate was adopted as a limb of
Sandwich and thus a part of the Cinque Ports confederation.