It was about the time of end of the Tudors and beginning of the Stuarts that
'Manors' lost control of their areas in favour of church parishes which became
administrative units. Ramsgate thus came under the control of St Lawrence.
Ramsgate began to grow after the Glorious Revolution of 1688 following the
successful trade with Russia and the formation of the Bank of England and the
East India Company, whose ships brought trade and prosperity to the local
Early in the Georgian age - 1714 to 1740 - the Vestry and Overseers of St Lawrence
still controlled day to day work in Ramsgate, including the building of a Poor
House in Sussex Street. This opened in April 1726. By 1785 Ramsgate had
established an efficient government sufficient for it to have an 'Act' to pave,
light and cleanse the streets of Ramsgate and to build a market house and hold
a public market. Records show that for the year of 1799 the cost of cleaning
the streets amounted to 42/- ,42 shillings (2 guineas) or Â£2.10p.